Alfred Ceramic Art Museum
These Louis Mendez works are part of the permanent collection.
Scholes Library of the NYS College of Ceramics at Alfred University
This Louis Mendez piece is part of the permanent collection.
Louis Mendez '52 Endowed Fund
Louis Mendez was a versatile artist in many media. His work explored human and animal forms with equal intensity in large-scale sculpture, graphic images, mask designs, traditional ceramics, graphics photography and painting. Born in New York City, Mendez earned BFA and MFA degrees in industrial design from the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University. The artist was a recipient of a Louis Comfort Tiffany grant for design and development of large-scale ceramic art in architectural settings. Although he always maintained an independent studio and active exhibition schedule, Mendez also held professional positions in both industry and higher education. His work is included in numerous public and private collections in the Americas, Europe, Australia and Asia.
In recognition of his transformative student years at Alfred, members of the Artist's Family have established the Louis Mendez '52 Endowed Fund to support travel for educational purposes for Alfred University students enrolled in the School of Art & Design. During his long and highly productive career, Mendez derived great inspiration from his extensive travels. He was an ardent advocate for the efficacy of organized and purposeful travel to shape students' perceptions of others and themselves, as well as the connections we all share across time and cultures. Opportunities made possible by this fund will complement students' studio work and studies, connecting them with other artists and the world of art in ways essential to achieving maturity in their personal and professional development.
|Summer 2023||Salyn Yancey||Internship at The Grange Gallery and Ceramic Studio Work at the Featherstone Arts Center, Vineyard Haven, MA|
|Summer 2022||Daniela Marie Murphy||Mold Making Master Class with Ashley Thomas, Yellow Moth FX LLC, Harrison, NJ|
|Summer 2021||Trey Millward||Internship at Light Work, a residency & photography center affiliated with Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY|
|Summer 2020||Andrew Sensenig||Studio Assistant for artists Nina Rizzo, Anna Kunz, Michelle Wasson and Frank Trankina, Chicago, IL|
|Summer 2019||Sophia Weiss||Internship at Bridget Donahue Gallery — Studio Assistant to Artists, Lauren Clay & Ruby Sky-Stiler, New York City|
|Summer 2018||Mariah N. Addis||Residency, Red Lodge Clay Center, Red Lodge, Montana|
|Summer 2017||Alexandra P. Smith||Internships, Mitchell-Innes & Nash Gallery, Gina Beavers Studio, New York City|
|October 2016||Michael Mycola Haleta||Audio Research Project, Elektronmusikstudion, Stockholm, Sweden|
You can participate
Thank you for your generous support of carefully selected, highly talented and deserving students.
Tax deductible contributions may be made to the Mendez '52 Fund.
Direct link to donation form:
Alfred University Alumni Engagement Louis Mendez '52 Endowed Fund Donation page
Step-by-step from the Alfred University homepage:
- Visit https://www.alfred.edu.
- At the end of the page find the button "Give Today," which leads to https://www.alfred.edu/alumni/ways-to-give/.
- On the Ways to Give page, find the link for "Endowed Funds," which leads to https://www.alfred.edu/alumni/ways-to-give/endowed-funds.cfm.
On the Endowed Funds page, select "Adding to an Existing Endowment."
Guidance is provided which allows you to either search for a specific
endowment or call
607-871-2144to speak with University Staff. If you would like to proceed online, follow the "search our list" link to https://alumni.alfred.edu/giving/endowment-giving.
- At the end of the next page, also titled Endowed Funds, find the section called "Giving Search." This contains a "Fund Description" search input. Enter Mendez and activate the "Search" button (or activate Enter).
- The University database will be searched, and the page will reload. Go again to the end of the page to see "Search Results." A link to "Louis Mendez '52 Endowed Fund" is now present. Follow this link to https://alumni.alfred.edu/giving/endowed-giving?fid=8fyFNlzU9mE%3d&fdesc=jfdLt2Fc0eTWbtHxjtlt2Q8we4mBK3d3LNKkQMlnGew%3d.
- You have arrived! Please fill out the form, then submit it with the "Donate Now" button at the end of the page.